2019 ICE Balfour Beatty Student Innovator of the Year Competition
This listing has expired
About the programme:
This competition is for university students to apply for the award of “The 2019 ICE Balfour Beatty Student Innovator of the Year”.
The prize for winning is not only the title of student innovator of the year, but is a fully paid 3 month summer placement with the Balfour Beatty Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainability (HSES) team in the London and South East region. You will be getting involved with our onsite teams and working on real major construction projects where you will have the opportunity to make a difference to the way things are normally done. What you make of your time with us on your summer placement at Balfour Beatty is up to you, but we are looking for the right person who has the ability and the drive to get involved and make the very best of it.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Managing your own mini-project focussing on the innovative solution you propose (the HSES team may wish to influence the direction you take your business improvement proposal), and present this to the HSES Director and other senior member of staff.
- Visiting a range of live and exciting construction projects not limited to London and the South East.
- Assisting with onsite HSES inspections.
- Drawing on your own experience to assist our designers, engineers and supply chain in making the construction process safer, healthier and more sustainable.
- Attending planning and strategic meetings for our future and live construction projects.
- Taking part in the Institution of Civil Engineers Graduates & Students Society, and attend industry events at ICE HQ.
This is a unique opportunity and your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in HSES or the civil engineering industry after graduation.
What we’re looking for:
Our prize winners will be:
- Passionate about engineering and up to speed with the latest industry developments
- Able to think outside of the box and challenge the way things are normally done
- Keen to explore new or alternative methods and innovations in the construction industry with the ultimate aim of finding a healthier, safer and more sustainable way.
- A team player who can demonstrate leadership qualities
- Able to learn quickly from other teams and individuals
What you’ll need:
- Be studying at University towards a recognised degree, expecting to gain at least a 2:2
- Ideally have a full UK driving licence
- Be able to work in the London and South East region
Rewards and Benefits:
We recruit and develop the next generation of future leaders, providing the right stepping stone from education into the world of work. Balfour Beatty has a breadth of capabilities and depth of technical expertise making it a great place to build on your specialist knowledge. Each day our projects change people’s lives and communities for the better and each year we seek the best candidates from a broad range of backgrounds and disciplines to come and join our ever changing business.
Not only will you gain valuable experience on your summer placement, you will also receive a competitive salary for your time with us. In the final weeks of your placement you may also be invited to attend our Graduate Assessment Centre for one of our graduate schemes.
REGISTER YOUR CV