Apprentice Chef VAC-00784
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million visitors each year.
No matter what you do or where you do it, by joining us you’ll be playing a vital role in looking after some of the greatest places in England so that they can be enjoyed today and for generations to come. You’ll find it’s a workplace like no other – taking you behind the scenes of these extraordinary sites and supporting you to share your ideas, inspire others and make a difference.
What you’ll achieve with us:
As an Apprentice Chef, you’ll help us maintain excellent standards of customer service, optimise all opportunities to generate income and ensure that the site and its assets are safe and secure. You will also complete a 12 month Catering Apprenticeship, funded by the apprenticeship levy.
What you’ll be doing as part of the team:
* To provide a consistently excellent service to our visitors that ensures their expectations are exceeded.
* To deliver prompt, efficient and personalised service to customers.
* To convey knowledge to the visitor of the catering offer and to be able to provide information on the historic property and English Heritage.
* To respond courteously and appropriately to visitor enquiries and feedback.
* To prepare and present food to the highest standard of quality and presentation following the set guidelines of each food product in a correct manner.
* To maintain consistency of food service to the visitor.
* To maintain excellent standards of site and personal presentation at all times as defined in the Historic Properties Pocket Guide, covering all aspects
from providing a warm welcome to visitors to site presentation including but not limited to general cleaning of all public areas.
* To ensure excellent standards of cleanliness within all food production and café areas and any other areas as deemed necessary.
* Preparing fresh ingredients daily, assembling,finishing and plating up of dishes.
* Participate in all opening and closing procedures including preparing food and equipment for cooking and service.
* Adhere to daily kitchen routines including cleaning, temperature checks and other duties related to food safety and Health and safety.
* Can demonstrate excellent communication skills, supporting team members and working on initiative without direct supervision at times.
* Perform stock takes, rotate stock, receive and safely store away deliveries as required.
* Understand and demonstrate awareness of food costs and prevent wastage of food and resources.
* Daily cleaning, Washing up and clean down duties to maintain clean and hygienic Kitchen and equipment.
* Undertake all necessary training on Food Safety,food handling and Health and Safety as necessary.
* To be goal orientated and self-motivated to achieve targets.
* To assist with the development of events and with the set-up and break-down of events in liaison with the management team and other colleagues.
* To assist with hospitality events and functions where applicable; this may mean working outside of normal working hours.
* To ensure wastage is kept to the minimum.
1. To work cooperatively and collaboratively in a high performing team to meet the needs of the charity and show initiative and take on additional responsibility when required.
2. To improve own role and strengthen job knowledge through undertaking training courses and attending conferences that are considered necessary as a result of the Performance Development Review process.
3. To work Bank Holidays and weekends as required and assist at other sites within reasonable travelling distance on occasion.
1. To follow processes and procedures in a pragmatic way.
2. To ensure site meets with Health and Safety legislation by strictly conforming to food hygiene regulations, including maintaining all records which are required by law.
3. To maintain an up to date knowledge of kitchen operations.
4. To take all reasonable measures to ensure the practices of operations reflect the intentions of the EH Sustainability Policy through the recycling and correct disposal of waste.
5. To follow set processes to ensure the site is secure at all times.
6. To use personal protection equipment as provided and directed within English Heritage Health and Safety Guidelines.
7. To deal with emergency contract call outs e.g. maintenance.
Location: Saffron Waldon
Position Type: Apprenticeship
Working Week: Average of 36 hrs a week over 12 months.
Weekly Wage: £295.92
Application Deadline: 19-10-2018
Possible Start Date: 01-11-2018
REGISTER YOUR CV