Biochemist – Fluorescent Tags – Cambs 38858253
This listing has expired
My clients in Cambridgeshire are looking for a Post-Doctoral Biochemist – Fluorescent Tags.
This role is commutable from Cambridge, Bedford, St. Neots, Huntingdon, Sandy, Yaxley.
To develop the company’s next generation applications for light emitting polymers by exploring their use as fluorescent markers in biological applications. The role involves the surface functionalisation of nanoparticles and attachment of biological receptors for recognition of specific biomarkers in a number of proposed applications.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
• Improve performance of fluorescent markers by optimising the surface functionalisation of nanoparticles with biological receptors, including small molecules and proteins. Validate improvements in application specific tests.
• Evaluate the potential of bio-functionalised fluorescent nanoparticles for end-use applications.
• Accurate recording of all practical work to ensure that new Intellectual Property (IP) is appropriately documented.
• Effective communication with all team members and the wider organisation to distribute results, discuss problems, and provide next-step recommendations to progress the project.
• Develop and test strategies for covalent or non-covalent attachment of biological receptors (e. g. antibodies) to the surface of nanoparticles.
• Develop and test characterisation techniques to verify successful chemical and/or biochemical functionalisation of a nanoparticle surface and to assess their colloidal stability.
• Devise assays to evaluate the suitability of bio-functionalised nanoparticles for end-use applications, critically analyse results and report all trends and anomalies observed.
• Initiation, delivery and documentation of high-quality studies and mini projects based on sound scientific hypotheses to achieve R&D targets.
• Compilation of results in a timely and accurate manner, in the required format (written, verbal, formal presentation). Presentation of data in one-to-one discussions, team meetings and at wider company discussion forums.
• Creative contribution to brainstorms, studies and project meeting discussions.
• Effective communication with chemists, analysts, biologists and project leaders, as well as external collaborators.
• Chemistry/Biochemistry PhD or a degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry coupled with equivalent relevant experience in an industrial or academic environment.
• Extensive experience within at least one of the following areas is essential:
o Surface chemistry and / or functionalization of nanoparticles.
o Surface attachment of bio-molecules (e. g. antibodies, DNA).
• Additional experience in one or more of the following areas would be highly desirable:
o Biological assays (e. g. ELISA, micro-array, cell labelling, flow cytometry).
o Synthesis and characterisation of nanoparticles, including by Dynamic Light Scattering, Zeta Potential Analysis and microscopy.
o Knowledge of fluorescent materials (e. g. small molecule dyes, quantum dots, light-emitting polymers).
Salary circa £35k per annum but flexible for the right candidate.
To apply for this Post-Doctoral Biochemist – Fluorescent Tags role in Cambridgeshire please contact us ASAP!
REGISTER YOUR CV