Graduate Power System Engineer, Electricity System Operator – National Grid – Warwick
This listing has expired
This programme consists of rotational placements and therefore you must be willing to relocate as and when the programme requires.
Qualifications:You must have, or be predicted to gain, a 2:2 degree classification or above in the one of the following subjects:
Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Physics or Maths.
About the role
As a Power System Engineer Graduate within the Electricity System Operator, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the lights stay on.
Within an Operation team you could be working close to the control rooms through analysing real-time system behaviour, simulating network issues and ensuring the control room have the tools and processes they need to maintain network security and the balance of supply and demand.
Within a Planning team you could find yourself defining the long-term strategy for our energy industry by simulating long term network behaviour, assessing extreme scenarios and helping design the network of tomorrow.
What you’ll do
You will be:
- Assessing how our networks should be upgraded and expanded.
- Developing algorithms to work out energy demand for next week.
- Assessing worst case network faults so we can maintain our security standards.
- Integrating new tools into our control rooms so staff can manage complex scenarios, such as increasing amounts of renewable energy connecting to the network.
- Working with all GB transmission owners to ensure our network simulation models are up-to-date and accurate.
- Providing a compelling, transparent view of future network capability, the issues associated with rapidly changing supply and demand patterns and the necessary development and implementation of innovative solutions.
- All technical analysis necessary to offshore electricity network design.
- Assessing system access and maintenance plans to ensure the system can be operated both securely and economically.
- Ensuring the compliance & reliability of a range of existing and future generation connections.
- Managing the technical aspects of electricity frameworks (both GB and Europe).
What’s in it for you
Whatever your specific responsibilities, you’ll be surrounded by the leading experts in the industry who are solving some of the biggest energy challenges we have ever seen. The knowledge and understanding of how we keep the lights on that can be understood only within the System Operator have been the foundations for the careers of many of our company leaders.
What you’ll get
Youwill receive a starting salary of £28,105 (or £29,127 if you hold a Masters) and a £2000 joining bonus. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, a generous completion payment, an accommodation allowance as you move around the business, a competitive pension scheme and a number of flexible benefits to name just a few.
Who are we
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
Warwick or Wokingham
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 15th December, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods canand may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.
REGISTER YOUR CV