Electrical Installation (Electro technical) Advanced Apprenticeship (Buildings & Structures)
This listing has expired
The electrical contracting industry is part of the construction industry and therefore electrician’s are generally responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical services, both inside and outside buildings and structures such as houses, hospitals, schools, factories and shops etc.
However, all electricians will have a broad range of similar technical knowledge and practical skills to enable them to carry out their work safely and correctly.
Some of the things that an electrician will be expected to do are:
- Install, maintain and repair electrical services (e.g. lighting, sockets, fire alarms, emergency lighting & heating controls)
- Work indoors and outdoors and be prepared to sometimes work at height
- Work with little or no supervision; relying on their own initiative
- Be prepared to travel away from home
- Develop good working relationships with people
- Read both building and engineering drawings
- Understand wiring and circuit diagrams
- Select (within limits) materials and equipment
- Inspect and test electrical installations
- Diagnose and rectify faults on a range of circuits and equipment
- Write reports
As you can see, the job of the electrician is varied and interesting and can offer a challenging career. Consequently, the training programme that you will be following as a JTL apprentice has been designed to help you by meeting and delivering training to these standards and expectations.
Requirements and prospects
Knowledge and skills are important and the training is demanding!
Key personal attributes include:
- Good practical skills to work with hand and power tools
- The ability to follow technical drawings and instructions
- A methodical approach to work
- An ability to pay close attention to detail
- A commitment to keep up to date with industry developments
- The ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work at height
- Normal colour vision
- A thorough understanding of safety rules and regulations
The work is quite complex. You need to be reasonably physically fit, have good practical aptitude and be willing to learn.
All candidates must complete the JTL Entry Assessment
The advertised Apprentice wage will increase yearly or upon completion of progressive stages. After initially qualifying, you could go on to supervisory roles, senior management positions or even running your own business.
Things to consider
You must ensure you load an up-to-date copy of your CV to your JTL profile in addition to following the application instructions to complete your application for this vacancy.
The JTL Entry Assessment forms an integral part of your application, if you haven’t already taken and passed one you must logon to your JTL account and take the assessment before the closing date.
The JTL electrical installation apprenticeship is an Advanced Apprenticeship at Level 3 lasting approximately four years. As a JTL apprentice you’ll be in full time employment with a local company receiving a good wage from day one. You’ll spend time learning your trade by gaining hands-on-experience working on-site with your employer, as well as attending a JTL approved college or training centre to learn the theoretical knowledge you will need.
For the Advanced Apprenticeship, the framework reflects a higher level of competence and knowledge, for electricians, the competence and knowledge elements are combined in a qualification called the ‘Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems & Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment)’ This structure is reflected in the new electrical framework as follows, with ELTOC1 being the industry specific requirement:
- An NVQ at Level 3 (the competence part)
- A knowledge based element at Level 3
- Transferable Skills at Level 2
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills
2,000 people a year begin a course delivered by JTL, getting qualifications, real life job experience and realising their potential.
Installation electrician / maintenance electrician
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by JTL
REGISTER YOUR CV