Higher Apprenticeships – Buildings & Infrastructure – Glasgow
This listing has expired
Higher Apprenticeships – Buildings & Infrastructure – Glasgow
Closing Date: 8 February 2019
Arup is a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts. We use our skills to make a positive difference in the world. This is a brilliant opportunity to build a creative career designing and delivering exciting work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services.
Our apprenticeships allow you to study for an academic qualification while working and learning alongside respected, technical professionals. As an apprentice, you’ll study at a local college on day release, and combine this experience with real responsibilities in the workplace. A dedicated mentor and our learning and development team will guide you through your personal and professional development.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for Civil, Buildings Structures and Building Services Apprentice Technicians to join our teams in Glasgow. From your first day you’ll join a community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards an accredited qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Across all three teams, you’ll support a variety of different work, including:
- Production of engineering drawings and sketches, including 3D or 2D computer drawings
- Production of Building Information Models (BIM) (depending on the specifics of the role)
- Preparation of simple engineering calculations
- Contributing to solutions for design challenges
- Taking part in design meetings, site visits, presentations and workshops
- Helping with the administration of projects
Additional information on our three roles can be found below:
Building Services Apprentice:
You’ll help a team including architects and engineers to design all kinds of systems such as energy management, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, drainage, lighting, power, water services, life-safety systems, communications and building transportation. You’ll work with renewable and emerging technologies, and enjoy the chance to take part in a wide range of projects – from newly built sports stadia, to the refurbishment of historic premises. Your projects could span a variety of sectors, including education, sports, health and industry. At Arup, you will have the advantage of Building Information Modelling (BIM) technology. BIM enables us to design buildings collaboratively using computer models. As part of your apprenticeship, you’ll study towards a Level 4 qualification in Building Services with one of our local partner colleges.
Building Structures Apprentice:
You’ll help a team including engineers and technicians who work with architects to model, draw and assist in designing structures made of steel, concrete, timber and other construction materials. This is design work that really matters. The structures you help to design will form the frames and foundations of all kinds of buildings – from brand new sports stadia, schools and universities, to offices and industrial premises. You could also get involved in the computer modelling and drawing of external parts of buildings, such as car parks and access roads. You will also have the advantage of Building Information Modelling (BIM) technology, which enables us to design buildings collaboratively using computer models. As part of your apprenticeship, you’ll study towards a Level 4 qualification in Civil Engineering with one of our local partner colleges.
Civil Engineering Apprentice:
You’ll help a team including engineers and other professionals to assess, design and supervise civil engineering works. You’ll work on a wide range of projects – from roads and pavements, to car parks, drainage, and earthworks. Projects and designs will come in all shapes and sizes, and could involve sports stadia, highways, airports, ports, rail schemes, and new buildings. You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients such as Highways England, HS2, Sellafield and many others. As part of your apprenticeship, you’ll study towards a Level 4 qualification in Civil Engineering with one of our local partner colleges.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for dynamic and dedicated individuals to join us as apprentices. If you are keen to build a fulfilling career in the design engineering sector and deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Four or more GCSE/Standard/Intermediate 2/National 5 qualifications (grade C or above) including English and Science
- Grade B or above in Maths at GCSE/Standard/Intermediate 2/National 5 level
- A minimum of three Higher qualifications at grade C or above, with one being in Maths or Physics
- Confident working with numbers
- The ability to produce neat and accurate technical drawings
- Interest in using computers for design work, calculations and testing
- The ability to organise your own work and always be on time
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Lots of enthusiasm for this learning and development opportunity
What will we offer in return?
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Please indicate in your application form if you have a strong preference for a particular team. However your flexibility is welcomed, so do let us know if you are open to being considered for all opportunities.
You must be available to commence employment no later than August 2019 in order to be considered for this role.
REGISTER YOUR CV