Landfill Operations Graduate Trainee (Graduate Development Programme) – Veolia – Rugby, Warwickshire
This listing has expired
JOB TITLE – Graduate Trainee (Landfill Operations Graduate Trainee)
Year One: Ling Hall (Rugby);
Year Two: Mobile across multiple locations in UK (incl. Lancashire & Essex)
GRADUATE STREAM – Future Business Leaders
SALARY – £27,000
We are resourcing the world. We manufacture green products and green energy using waste, waste water and wasted heat as a resource mine. We are working hard to create a future in which end-of-life resources are transformed into products that enrich our lives and can power our homes and industry. The circular economy already represents 20% of our turnover and we are constantly developing innovative ways to develop access to, preserve and replenish resources. To achieve our vision; we focus on creating a team with a diverse range of talent that operates in a safe, innovative and sustainable environment in order to promote the green economy and build new markets.
About the Role
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Graduate to join our Landfill Operations Team as part of the Graduate Development Programme. Landfill management is about far more than just the disposal of waste. At Veolia we use the best available technologies to manage the waste and control associated operations such as energy recovery and leachate treatment.
During the working life of the landfill, the methane produced by the decomposing waste is drawn off and used as a fuel to generate additional electricity for the National Grid. In this way a potent greenhouse gas can be recovered and used to replace fossil fuels.
Over the course of the 2 year programme, you will be assisting in the day-to-day running of an operational landfill site. Through this, you will be gaining valuable exposure to operational activities, experiencing first-hand operational issues, and will be actively encouraged to generate and implement new ideas to drive improvement on site.
You will be learning about and involved in tasks around:
- Compaction efficiency
- Machine operations, including maintenance
- Gas and Leachate monitoring, recording and analysis
- Waste flow analysis
- Financial management including P&L and inventory, relevant finance systems and expenditure management
- Weighbridge inputting, reporting and invoicing
- Liaising with new and existing customers
- Liaising with other departments such as Engineering, Restoration, Aftercare, Commercial and Systems
About your Development
As part of the Graduate Development Programme, you will go through a structured management development programme, undertaking leadership and management modules with your graduate cohort. You will be supported in this by our People Development team. You will also receive further technical training specific to your role, such as the IOSH qualification and COTC.
About your Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
- A relevant degree in a subject such as civil/structural engineering, environmental or earth sciences, geography, geology, biological or biochemical sciences, chemical or physical sciences is normally preferred. A postgraduate qualification in waste or environmental management may be beneficial, particularly for graduates without an appropriate first degree (2:1 minimum by September 2020)
- Problem solving mindset and ability to get stuck in
- Willingness to engage in practical tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with new computer systems and technologies
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Ability to work well within a team
- Understanding of health and safety
- Full, clean UK driving licence
You need to be eligible to work in the UK without restriction on beginning employment and be able to take up permanent employment with the company. You’ll also need a full UK driving license on starting employment. During the recruitment process you’ll be required to provide original documentation.
Veolia supports the principle of Equality & Diversity in employment and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination.
REGISTER YOUR CV