Library Assistant Apprentice
Library Assistant Apprentice VAC-39248
This role forms part of a dedicated team developing our Library and Knowledge services across Berkshire. It involves working in partnership with Librarians and Library Assistants and as part of the wider Training and Organisational Development team. Our services support evidence-based practice, decision making, and staff development in support of high quality patient care throughout the Trust and the wider healthcare community.
The apprentice will contribute to the provision of a high quality library and information service, supporting healthcare staff and students. The apprentice will provide effective library administrative, promotional and housekeeping support to the library team. They will engage with library members to assist with using resources and basic enquiries.
The apprentice will work within the department to develop skills, knowledge and experience in all aspects of library support. Learning will be via on the job training and formal training sessions to establish knowledge and understanding. You will be required to attend regular meetings with your supervisor and Skills Coach completing all associated work within the 12months to achieve a Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship,.
The job description is not exhaustive and is intended as a summary of the duties and responsibilities.
The post holder will be expected to carry out the following duties:
• To undertake training as required and agreed with the mentor, supervisor and external assessor and complete the competencies relevant to the work area/department.
• Work on the library enquiry desk as arranged by the Deputy Manager and assist library users with information enquiries, photocopier and basic IT queries, referring more complex queries to more senior members of staff.
• Assisting library users with: the library catalogue; locating books and journals; accessing Internet resources; and electronic journals
• Deal with email and telephone enquiries from library users
• Open & close the library at appointed times
• Issue, renew and return loan items for members
• Interlibrary Loan/document supply service – supplying items requested from other NHS libraries and processing requests for books and research articles from our users in a timely manner in line with the NHS Copyright Licensing agreement
• Help maintain the print book and journal collections, including, shelving in the correct order, tidying, processing new books, repairs and tracing missing books
• Add & maintain library user records in the Library Management system in accordance with data protection, to ensure the data is accurate and up to date.
• Basic OpenAthens administration including assisting users with registration and username /password/change of employer queries.
• Administer the receipt of journals and claim for missing issues, updating library journal holdings, weeding journals and updating library signage.
• Provide basic inductions to new library users
• Promote use of library resources and assist in the preparation of library guides, information packs, and induction packs. Produce displays and other promotional material, and contribute to outreach activities.
• Administer overdue notices, chase and monitor the return of overdue items
• Draft the weekly Learning & Development News bulletin under the supervision of the Library Assistant.
• Deal with small cash payments for fines and other library charges
• Conduct other clerical duties to support the library service, including photocopying, sorting post, minutes of meetings, printing training packs, flyers and publicity documents
• General housekeeping tasks to maintain a welcoming and orderly environment in the library
• To be flexible, with the ability to alter activities and priorities as the need arises
• Undertake any other appropriate duties, commensurate with the role as required at the request of your supervisor
• Provide support to the development and update of the library website
• To be a flexible and supportive member of the team.
• Attend and take part in team meetings & regular reviews with line manager etc.
• To prepare for and attend assessment meetings and participate in relevant training programmes as required by the Trust.
• To travel to other locations within the Trust or within the region for training or work, if required.
• The post holder will be expected to complete all educational and training as required for the apprenticeship qualification
• To adhere to the local and national Health and Safety regulations and the organisations policies and procedures.
• To sign a learning contract with the training provider and adhere to the agreement.
Position Type: Apprenticeship
Sector: Business & Admin
Working Week : 37.5 Hours
Weekly Wage : £187.50
Application Deadline: 31-10-2018
Possible Start Date : 07-11-2018
REGISTER YOUR CV