Volkswagen Group (VWG) is one of the UK’s largest car retailers encompassing premium brands such as Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Volkswagen, Trade Parts Specialists, Volkswagen Paint and Body and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.
Our network of Volkswagen Group approved Paint and Body Centres delivers a first class service to customers using teams of highly trained experts and the same paint, parts and materials that are used at our factories.
Our apprenticeship programme gives you the opportunity to become part of this network, working within an approved body shop and receiving world class training from our industry experts.
Our Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) Technicians work within the Volkswagen Group Approved Repairer network to help return our customers vehicles back to factory standards following accidents including bumps and scrapes. This means that our customer’s vehicles will become as good as new.
The MET Apprentice Role
Our Mechanical, Electrical and Trim Technicians work methodically to return customer vehicles to factory standards, diagnosing and fixing faults and distributing work as required to other specialists.
Due to the high level of technology within our vehicles you will develop skills in mechanics and electrics
While the type of work carried out will vary according to location, some of the typical day to day duties include:
- Removing and fitting basic mechanical, electrical and trim components
- Removing and refitting non-structural body panels
- Removing, renewing and refitting mechanical and electrical systems and vehicle trims following accident damage
- Carrying our vehicle inspections
- Identifying the extent of vehicle damage
- Accessing and removing damage components
- Installing new components
- Using specialist equipment and techniques including welding and soldering to undertake repairs.
Training will be delivered over a number of block release weeks at a Volkswagen Group Approved training centre in Milton Keynes. Accommodation and transport will be provided as required. Here, our expert trainers will guide you through the training programme using a combination of e-learning, classroom learning and practical application. You will learn in fully equipped workshops using a range of vehicles.
When you return to your workplace, your personal, dedicated mentor will support your continued learning as you apply the skills and knowledge you have gained at the Learning Centre.
This is a fully rounded training experience where you will build life skills that last and gain both Apprenticeship qualifications and brand standard certifications.
On successful completion of the two year programme you will receive the following:
- Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Accident Repair – Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) Principles (VRQ)
- Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Accident Repair – Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) Competence (VCQ)
- Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling (EC842-2006)
- 2 x Apprenticeship Completion Certificates (at L2 & L3)
- Level 2 Award in Employment Rights & Responsibilities (ERR)
- Brand specific certifications
Volkswagen Group (VWG) is one of the UK’s largest car retailers encompassing premium brands such as Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Volkswagen, Trade Parts Specialists, Volkswagen Paint and Body and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. This network of retailers spans the UK, providing a wide range of career opportunities.
Once your apprenticeship is complete, you will continue your learning journey and you will have the opportunity drive your career forward. Some of our apprentices have gone on to become team leaders and managers within the retail network or even joined our team at Head Office in Milton Keynes.
Minimum entry requirements
GCSE grades A – C (new grades 9 – 4) or equivalent in English, Maths and Science.
In Scotland, applicants must have or be predicted to achieve National 4 or above in English, Maths and either a Science or Technical subject. Standard Grades 1-4 and Intermediates are also accepted.
‘Equivalent’ grades include:
- BTEC first diplomas and certificates
- OCR Nationals
- Key Skills Level 2
- Essential Skills (Wales)
- Functional Skills Level 2
- Core Skills (Scotland)
An ideal MET Technician apprentice will be able to work methodically, have attention to detail and be a team player.
We are looking for people who are passionate about our industry and our brand. Some of the personal skills that you should think about showing us in your application are:
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Strong communication
- Customer Service
- Interest in vehicle engineering
REGISTER YOUR CV