Network Access Apprentice – Didcot (OX11) – 15762
This listing has expired
We make sure that our digital IT capabilities and expertise are applied cost-effectively and imaginatively. Our work areas are: network operations, security, trust and identity, cloud and brokerage services, data centres and co-location, international engagement strategy, video services and e-infrastructure.
Jisc operates the national research and education network for the UK. Serving over 18 million users, the Janet Network provides UK research and education with a highly reliable and secure world-class network, enabling national and international communication and collaboration over its 8,500 km of optical fibre.
We specialise in network operations, cyber security, trust and identity, cloud and brokerage services, data centres and co-location, international engagement strategy and e-infrastructure.
It’s our vision to enable the UK to become the most digitally advanced education and research nation in the world. It’s a bold statement, but one that we’re determined to fulfil.
We want Jisc to be a great place to work. A place where people make a difference to our members, feel valued and have fun – how we work is a vital part of that.
Our values are our guiding principles. They define how we work and help us to do what we do so well. Our values are:
Pride: We have pride in what we do but aren’t arrogant or complacent
Passion: Our passion drives everything we do
Pace: We deliver at the right pace to meet the needs of our members and each other
Trust: You can trust us to deliver on our promises
Teamwork: We are one team and teamwork makes us better
Please apply for this role via the below link:
The closing date for applications is 9.00am on Friday 20th July.
We will be holding assessment centres on the 26th and 27th July in Harwell. You must be available for one of these dates to be considered for the role.
This role will bring an opportunity to really progress in a company who is willing to offer you a position after you complete or do a higher apprenticeship.
Do you want to join an exciting IT team? Then you’re only a few steps away as this apprenticeship will equip you with the appropriate skills and knowledge you require to begin your IT career.
In this role, you will provide support for the work of the network access group. This group operates a portfolio of services aimed at simplifying and reducing the overheads of the provision of temporary network access, particularly in the wireless mobility context. Both by directly operating national infrastructure and by procuring third party services, we help ensure that our sector’s staff can work productively whenever and wherever they need to. Our current portfolio includes the flagship services Eduroam and Govroam, which are business-critical to many of our members.
Through a combination of online, classroom and on-the-job learning, you will obtain a degree level qualification whilst gaining real work experience. This will include first class training and support for both day-to-day work and university learning; an advantage not available at university. This apprenticeship will give you a great opportunity to earn while you learn with a salary and company benefits.
As learning allows, you will:
- Develop an in-depth technical expertise in federated roaming technologies, focusing on 802.1X and RADIUS
- Develop service management skills, helping ensure on-going delivery to the highest standard
- Develop good communication skills, leading to participation in the customer-facing aspects of the group
- Contribute to the development of existing services, and helping prepare cases for the development of new projects
- Participate in procurement processes to secure commercial products and services for our customers
- Work to be confident in liaising with several internal departments such as Janet CSIRT, Janet network operations centre and the Janet Service Desk
- Assist in the support, development and enhancement of monitoring and analytic systems for our customers
- Assist in the support and development of mobile apps associated with our flagship services
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of educational material, conference presentations and workshops on network access and federated roaming issues
To be successful, you will need to be able to demonstrate the following:
- Team work –be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Problem solving –be able to identify and solve problems
- Creativity – be able to generate original and innovative ideas to provide imaginative perspectives
- Flexibility – able to adopt a different style or approach to achieve a goal
- Initiative – actively able to spot opportunities and act on them
- A-Levels in ICT/Business/Computing
- Or an Apprenticeship in a similar subject (this must be at least the level below the planned programme)
- Or an International Baccalaureate at level 3 in ICT
- Or a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits)
- For any City and Guilds programmes, the learner must be 18 on the first day of their apprenticeship
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, (35 hours a week)
£19,000 per annum
“QA’s Apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.”
Please apply for this role via the below link:
REGISTER YOUR CV