Plumbers put in, look after, and fix the plumbing inside and outside buildings. The exact job depends on the employer, though all plumbers have the skills and knowledge to get the job done properly and safely.
A plumber will need to be able to:
- Work at height
- Work alone or with little supervision
- Build relationships
- Read building and engineering drawings
- Understand heating control wiring and circuit diagrams
- Choose materials and equipment
- Inspect and test installations
- Diagnose and fix faults
- Write reports
You will begin your apprenticeship working towards a level 2 qualification before progressing to a level 3. This will include achieving your Technical Certificate by attending a Training Centre on either a day release or block release basis. Your National Vocational Qualification will be achieved by the work you undertake with your employer.
Requirements and prospects
Knowledge and skills are important and the training is demanding.
Key personal attributes include:
- Good practical skills to work with hand and power tools
- Ability to follow technical drawings and instructions
- A methodical approach to work
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- A commitment to keep up to date with industry developments
- Ability to work unsupervised and as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work at height
- Normal colour vision
- A thorough understanding of safety rules and regulations
The work is quite complex. You need to be reasonably physically fit, have good practical aptitude and be willing to learn.
All candidates must complete the JTL Entry Assessment
The advertised Apprentice wage will increase yearly or upon completion of progressive stages. After initially qualifying, you could go on to supervisory roles, senior management positions or even running your own business.
Things to consider
You must ensure you load an up-to-date copy of your CV to your JTL profile in addition to following the application instructions to complete your application for this vacancy.
The JTL Entry Assessment forms an integral part of your application, if you haven’t already taken and passed one you must logon to your JTL account and take the assessment before the closing date.
JTL offers an Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship for plumbers. The Intermediate level (Level 2) is achieved ‘en-route’ after approximately two years, with the Level 3 lasting a further two years: so achieving the Advanced Apprenticeship would be possible in four years.
As part of the JTL plumbing apprenticeship, you’ll be in full time employment with a local company receiving a decent wage from day one. You’ll spend time learning your trade by gaining hands-on experience working on-site with your employer, as well as attending a JTL approved college or training centre to learn the theoretical knowledge you will need.
For the Advanced Apprenticeship, the framework reflects a higher level of competence and knowledge, namely:
- An NVQ at Level 3 (the competence part)
- A knowledge based element at Level 3
- Transferable Skills at Level 2
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Any industry specific requirements
2,000 people a year begin a course delivered by JTL, getting qualifications, real life job experience and realising their potential.
We can get you there too.
Plumbing and Heating
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by JTL
REGISTER YOUR CV