One in every nine vans sold in the UK is a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle. Dependable, Partnership and Economical. These are the brand values of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. With a vehicle range that includes the iconic camper van to our more modern Amarok’s and transporters, it’s no wonder our customers are loyal supporters of our brand.
We are looking for the next generation of apprentices to work within our retail network, taking on the technical and life skills that will be the foundation of a rewarding career.
Service Technician Apprenticeship Role
The Service department is vital to the success of our business. From right first time fixes, to delivering excellent customer service, our Service Technicians play a pivotal role in delighting our customers and encouraging their continued loyalty.
Every day is different within the Service department. As a Service Technician Apprentice, some of your duties will include:
- Use of diagnostic equipment to identify vehicle faults
- Testing of parts and systems to ensure correct working
- Following checklists to ensure all critical parts of vehicles are examined
- Carrying out bumper to bumper overview, service and inspection
- Maintenance of electronic systems including on board entertainment systems
- Undertaking repair and maintenance of vehicle parts including clutches, gearboxes, tyres, brakes and suspension
- Completion of legible and accurate paperwork for the customers and centres records
- Maintenance of a clean and tidy work environment
You will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of products including traditional, hybrid and electronic engines. From heritage vehicles to leading edge modern technology, our range will provide you with a varied technical training experience to build your skills as a Service Technician.
Training will be delivered over a number of block release weeks at the National Learning Centre in Milton Keynes. Accommodation and transport will be provided as required. Here, our expert trainers will guide you through the training programme using a combination of e-learning, classroom learning and practical application. You will learn in fully equipped workshops using a range of vehicles that are specific to your brand.
When you return to your workplace, your personal, dedicated mentor will support your continued learning as you apply the skills and knowledge you have gained at the Learning Centre.
This is a fully rounded training experience where you will build life skills that last and gain both Apprenticeship qualifications and brand standard certifications.
On successful completion of the three year programme you will receive the following:
Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (Light Vehicle)
Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling (EC842-2006)
Brand specific certifications
Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales: Framework
- Level 2, progressing to Level 3 Diploma in Light Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (VRQ)
- Level 2, progressing to Level 3 Diploma in Light Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (VCQ)
- Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling (EC842-2006)
- 2 x Apprenticeship Completion Certificates (at L2 & L3)
- Level 2 Award in Employment Rights & Responsibilities (ERR)
- Brand specific certifications
Volkswagen Group (VWG) is one of the UK’s largest car retailers encompassing premium brands such as Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Volkswagen, Trade Parts Specialists, Volkswagen Paint and Body and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. This network of retailers spans the UK, providing a wide range of career opportunities.
Once your apprenticeship is complete, you will continue your learning journey and you will have the opportunity drive your career forward. Some of our apprentices have gone on to become team leaders and managers within the retail network or even joined our team at Head Office in Milton Keynes.
Minimum entry requirements
GCSE grades A – C (new grades 9 – 4) or equivalent in English, Maths and Science.
In Scotland, applicants must have or be predicted to achieve National 4 or above in English, Maths and either a Science or Technical subject. Standard Grades 1-4 and Intermediates are also accepted.
‘Equivalent’ grades include:
- BTEC first diplomas and certificates
- OCR Nationals
- Key Skills Level 2
- Essential Skills (Wales)
- Functional Skills Level 2
- Core Skills (Scotland)
Our ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate skills in logic and problem solving. You should be someone who pays attention to detail and is committed to completing this three year training programme.
We are looking for people who are passionate about our industry and our brand. Some of the personal skills that you should think about showing us in your application are:
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Strong communication
- Customer Service
- Interest in vehicle engineering
REGISTER YOUR CV