Software Developer Apprenticeship
This listing has expired
At Search Laboratory, we take the work we do for our clients very seriously but remember not to take ourselves too seriously.
We’re a sociable bunch and have bi-monthly socials where we all get together to have fun; past activities have included trampolining and go-karting.
The family atmosphere is consistently cited as one of the reasons people love to work here. Being listed in The Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For six times is all thanks to anonymous feedback which comes directly from the teams.
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join our Software Team.
The successful applicant will be involved in supporting and maintaining existing applications using technologies such as:
• Azure & Google Cloud Platform
Main role / Responsibilities [will include but not be limited to]:
• Respond to and log issues raised by the wider team
• To suggest and implement improvements and bug fixes as required
• To understand the business requirements and design solutions which fulfil those requirements in an effective, easy to use manner
• To develop, test and deploy those solutions for use within the Search Laboratory environment
• Respond to support requests from the wider company and log them appropriately
• Resolve those issues, and where necessary suggest changes to applications to improve them in response to those issues
• Work with the Chief Technology Officer and Senior Developer to identify areas for development and prioritise them accordingly
• Work with users internally to understand, define and document their requirements
• In conjunction with the CTO/Senior Developer, design and develop appropriate software solutions to address those requirements
• Test all software prior to deployment to ensure it is stable and robust when released to the live environment
• Deploy software to the live environment when required/ready for use
• Document changes to software for other developers (i.e. in comments/check-in notes) and for end users in the form of release notes/documentation
• Ensure all development is carried out in line with coding standards and guidelines
• Ensure source control and bug tracking systems are used to record changes and work completed accurately
• Record, investigate and resolve bugs in new and existing systems in a timely manner
Desired qualities, skills and knowledge:
• Passion for coding
• Excellent problem-solving ability
• Enthusiasm and aptitude for learning new programming languages, frameworks and paradigms
• Strong communications skills
• Analytical mind-set
• Strong mathematical skills
• Data Analysis experience
Desired qualification requirements:
6 x GCSE (or equivalent) at grades A-C including Maths plus GCSE English (or equivalent) at grade D or above.
Monday to Friday,
8:45am – 5:15pm,
37.5hrs per week, [all details will be confirmed with the employer]
Start at £7800 per annum, with opportunities to increase to £11,000 per annum, depending on the candidate.
Benefits of the role:
• Feedback from the team has seen us reach the Sunday Times Top 100 Companies to Work for List seven times!
• We featured in Britain’s most inspiring companies list 2016
• Free Parking
• Work socials
• You can find anonymous reviews about Search Labs on Glassdoor. Our Facebook page also gives you a good feel for what it’s like to work here, including all the social and fun parts of working at the Lab. Last year we took part in the mannequin challenge, so candidates can have a peak at what our offices look like!
The apprentice will start on a Level 4 Software Apprenticeship, and will have opportunities to continue onto higher levels: 5 and 6.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.
REGISTER YOUR CV