Job title:Trainee Supervisor
2. Mission & role of the function
To assist the Site Manager in achieving agreed safety, site KPI performance, environmental, cost, quality and service objectives through successful and effective management of the site.
Continuously develop personal skills to work independently inline with the information given within the L.E.A.D (Leadership, Education and Development) Programme.
3. Key accountabilities
The main activity of the role involves assisting in managing the operational team to achieve its performance objectives and continuous improvement in all areas stated in the Hanson UK Sustainability Report.
Working along side the Site Manager the Trainee Supervisor is required to take part and develop their knowledge and skills in the following areas:
Health and Safety
- Operating to the highest level of health and safety objectives in line with Hanson’s Health and Safety Plan and procedures set in the Integrated Management System.
- Assist with the administration of all procedures relating to Health & Safety i.e. Risk Assessments, Safe Working Practices, COSHH etc
- Proactively demonstrate high personal standards of safety behaviour, and monitor the performance of the workplace through ‘Near Hit’ reporting and safety ‘Conversation’ processes
- Operating to the highest level of environmental objectives in line with Hanson’s Environmental Management Plan and procedures set in the Integrated Management System.
- Assist with the administration of all Environmental procedures i.e. PPC Permit monitoring, monitoring within any permits issued by the Environment Agency and Community Liaison
- Assist with the identification and delivery of resource savings initiatives (Energy/water)
Working with the technical function to ensure operational procedures are such that quality levels are achieved at the most efficient operational cost.
Assist in ensuring all statutory legislation and company regulations are adhered to with respect to all operational activities.
- Assist in achieving optimum production output in line with commercial activity at the lowest sustainable operational cost. Continually advance operational improvements to increase efficiency with good management of the production functions.
- Assist in the management of mobile plant and machinery to ensure efficient running of plants to achieve outputs inc Regular Inspection, managing breakdown situations, preventative maintenance.
- Understanding the role of supporting functions such as the central Laboratories, Lands Minerals and Resources, Finance, Commercial etc and how these work in conjunction with the operations to achieve compliance
- Attain the ‘Extractive Mineral Processing’ NVQ Level 4 Qualification
- Apply the knowledge from the distance learning course on day to day activities
- Keep up to date any log books issued by the course leader and feedback within the set timelines
- Complete a project relevant to the site which is decided in conjunction with the Site Manager
- Develop organizational talents, skills and competencies
- Demonstrate initiative
- Be proactive in the pursuit of organisational and department awareness
- Demonstrate ability in problem solving
- Manage the work being done
- Demonstrate teamwork and collaboration
- Contribute to discussions, actions and projects; respond positively to requests for information, suggestions and assistance.
- Actively listen to the content and process of communications so that collaboration can occur.
- Communicate with clarity and brevity by presenting single ideas in a clear, concise, organized and persuasive manner.
- Express confidence without being/appearing to be intimidating, superior or nonchalant.
- Ensure that written communications are appropriately drafted, written, reviewed, edited, proofed, and signed, to ensure complete accuracy
- Demonstrate good time management and priotisation of tasks
- Ensure any workspace is kept tidy and organized and company property is suitably respected and not inappropriately communicated
- Show an ability to work with and communicate appropriately within the various business hierarchies
4. Job dimensions
Key measures for the role are:
- Can demonstrate lateral thinking to solve issues.
Ambition & Motivation
- Interest and enthusiasm for working in the building products sector.
- Self-motivation to seek out new opportunities for personal and organisational learning and development.
- Having longer-term vision on personal career wants, and knowledge of the steps required to achieve these goals.
- The ability to build and influence effective relationships with a variety of people and create enthusiasm and commitment to a shared vision.
- The ability to express ideas and impart key messages clearly, confidently and effectively through both written and oral communication and to a variety of audiences.
- The ability to move between geographical boundaries.
Working with others
- The ability and awareness to work with a diverse workforce across different business sectors, and to work alongside others to achieve common goals.
- The ability to quickly sift and understand large amounts of data, both written and numerical, and being able to identify key trends and issues to develop informed solutions that can address specific and strategic issues.
- The ability to prioritise tasks and manage time effectively.
- Ability to build effective relationships both within and outside the division and department,
- Able to seek input from and maintain effective ongoing communication with Mentor, site Champion and colleagues.
- Able to communicate with confidence up and down the organisation
5. Job requirements
The role holder is expected:
- to comply with all aspects of the Hanson Compliance Policy
- to ensure that all the business/operations are performed in accordance with instructions and procedures and in such a way so as to prevent any fraudulent activities taking place
- to comply with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and to observe the requirements of the Company Safety Policy and other relevant legislation
- to update all areas of knowledge as required to carry out the job with maximum effectiveness and to attend training/development courses as and when required
- to comply will all aspects of the HR Policies and Procedures of the Company
- At least 80 UCAS points at A /A/s level and at least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or C or above, including Maths, English and Science
Candidates with Welsh Baccalaureate, Diploma, NVQ at level 3 or Scottish Highers etc or an advanced level apprenticeship
- Full UK driving licence (or at least have this in place by August 2020)
- Must be willing and able to relocate at any stage during the programme to benefit from the opportunities on offer
- Management/Leadership Skills
- Self starter, energetic
- Hands-on approach
- Open-minded to new ideas
- Results focused
- Excellent communicator
- Willing to take responsibility
Due to the nature of the business the individual needs to show a willingness to flexibility of work and travel
7. Training Matrices
REGISTER YOUR CV