Undergraduate Summer Placement 2019 – Civil Design Engineering
This listing has expired
About the programme:
Undergraduates will complete an 8-12 week placement within Balfour Beatty, commencing in the summer of 2019. Our Civil Engineering Undergraduate roles are typically site based, however occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of civil design engineering to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. In order to develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role and given real responsibility as early as possible.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include operations, safety and commercial – and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation. Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will work with construction specialists and contractors on various projects, and will help ensure compliance with our Health and Safety agenda.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Undertaking designs to comply with applicable standards and procedures
- Assisting in the co-ordination of the design process on live projects
- Assisting in ensuring that the highest possible safety standards are implemented and maintained via risk mitigation in the design process
- Ensuring that design information is accurate and available to enable all construction activities to proceed efficiently
- Supporting the site commercial team by providing clear records of design changes
- Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in civil design engineering.
What we’re looking for:
- You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
What you’ll need:
- Be studying for a Civil or Structural Engineering (BEng or MEng) degree ideally expecting to gain at least a 2:2
- Full UK driving licence
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
REGISTER YOUR CV