Knowing your rights and responsibilities as an apprentice is important in the world of work. Apprentices have the same rights as other employees, you’re entitled to an employment contract where you’ll be working at least 30 hours per week.
As an Apprentice you’re also entitled to 20 days paid holiday plus bank holidays. Apprentices also take on part time study through a college, university or training provider and you’ll also get paid the national minimum wage for an Apprentice which is currently £3.70, this applies to apprentices under the age of 19 and those over the age of 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. Whilst an undertaking an apprentice you’ll get paid for the hours you work and for your training off the job. Find out more about the National Minimum Wage for apprentices.
Your rights and responsibilities as an apprentice
Two important documents that you’ll receive as an apprentice include:
Apprenticeship agreement – An Apprenticeship agreement will require the employer and apprentice to sign it. This is equal to a contract of employment which will give details of the agreement including:
1. How long you’ll be employed for
2. What training you will receive
3. Pay, working hours, holidays, and any support or benefits
4. Underline the Apprenticeship framework or standard that you’re taking and the industry you’re being trained in.
Commitment Statement – A commitment statement will be signed by your employer, the apprentice and the training provider, college or university. This document includes the following:
1. The nationally recognised qualification that you’ll be working towards
2. The Apprenticeship content (what you will be doing during your off the job training) and the schedule arrangement (when you’ll be going to college/university or your learning mentor will visit you)
3. What is expected of you
4. How to resolve complaints or any queries you may have.
Now you know your rights and responsibilities as an apprentice, if you’re not currently undertaking an apprenticeship then you can browse Careermap to find a wide range of Apprenticeship vacancies in a broad range of industries from business to construction and many more!