Main purpose and scope of job
A recycling operative has the responsibility to deliver a high standard of customer service to the public by actively encouraging reuse and recycling as well as assisting the public with their waste disposal.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
- To operate the Recycling Centre safely and efficiently and in line with company procedures and policies, Environmental Permit, Planning Permissions and Contract Specification .
- To assist the Recycling Team Leader in delivering a safe and efficient Recycling Centre service.
- To ensure that the highest standard of customer care is maintained at all times
- To ensure that the site is operated in accordance with the Service Delivery Plan and contract requirements.
- To comply with Health and Safety law, Site Management Plans, Risk Assessments, Safe Working Procedures, Tool Box Talks, Safety Alerts and any other site instructions.
- To actively promote the principles of Reuse, by identifying and intercepting reusable items in conjunction with our charity partners.
- To actively encourage users of the sites to reuse before recycling and to manage site staff so as to maximise reuse and recycling levels at the site through identification, interception and education.
- To ensure that site daily inspections are undertaken and recorded appropriately in accordance with the Environmental Permit and Contract Operating Procedures
- To ensure that all movements of reuse, recyclables and waste are recorded in line with relevant regulations and contract procedures and all paperwork and information is captured using the sites HData system as instructed.
- To monitor container usage and to provide the Recycling Team Leader with daily reports in relation to container movements for the following day.
- To ensure that all plant and equipment safety checks and inspections are carried and reported in line with the Contract Specification and FCC procedures.
- To ensure that all chargeable waste is identified and appropriate charges applied.
- To ensure that all sales procedures are followed and recorded in line with company policy
- To assist the company in the identification of unlawful deposit of commercial waste at the Recycling Centre.
- To recorded start and finish times each day to comply with Fire Regulations
- To wear issued uniforms, name badges and using PPE correctly at all times.
- To prevent any unauthorised person from sorting, disturbing, interfering or removing any waste from the Recycling Centre
- Any other reasonable request to meet operational needs
- Experience of working in a customer facing setting desirable, but not essential.
- Experience of working at a Recycling Centre and or in a waste and/or recycling setting desirable, but not essential.
- Experience of working in a heavily regulated environment desirable, but not essential
- No previous knowledge required but a keen interest in improving recycling rates and actively diverting valuable items to re-use such as bikes, televisions, furniture etc.
- Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
- Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Ability to approach public and ask if they need assistance
- Courteous towards customers, clients and colleagues
- Commitment to delivering high levels of customer service.
- Sufficiently resilient and robust to effectively manage third parties.
- Good timekeeper
- Must be able to work by alone or as a team.
- Must be honest and hardworking.
- Must be prepared to work Weekends and Bank Holidays
- Sites open 6 days a week: Required to work any 5 out of 6 days with possible split rest days dependent on operational requirements.
Sites closed Wednesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year's day
- Location - May be asked to work on any Suffolk RC