Health and Social Care Apprenticeships offer school leavers an extensive range of opportunities from health care practitioners to dental nursing and many more!
What do Health and Social Care Apprenticeships involve?
Health and social care Apprenticeships are an excellent starting point to forge a career in a challenging but highly rewarding industry. Through a combination of on the job training and study off the job, you will gain invaluable skills, a credible qualification and practical experience.
Did you know that the NHS employs 1.4 million people? The NHS isn’t the only health care provider you can work for there are lots of independent companies you can also work for.
Let’s take a look at a handful of roles you can do in the health and social care industry:
- Dental Nurse – Are you looking for a career that’s varied? As a dental nurse, you’ll be involved in a range of duties such as helping on reception during busy periods, working directly under the responsible dentist and responding quickly when required to do so, handling patient records and taking notes.
- Healthcare Assistant – Healthcare assistants take care of people of all ages by monitoring and recording the conditions of patients. You could be taking temperatures, pulse or weight. You will also be required to assist with the personal hygiene of patients.
- Pharmacy Assistant – Pharmacy assistants sell and advise patients on a range of medications. They will also deal with patient prescriptions and make stock takes.
Skills needed for Health and Social Care Apprenticeships
Are you caring, empathetic and passionate about improving lives? A health and social care role could be perfect for you! Through health and social care Apprenticeships, you will develop communication skills, build relationships with patients and understand the importance of confidentiality. A career in health and social care can be mentally and physically challenging but highly rewarding knowing you’re helping and making a difference to peoples lives.
Watch this video to find out more about health and social care Apprenticeships:
Who can I work for?
Apprenticeships provide multiple routes into the health and social care industry. You could be working for BUPA, Interserve Healthcare, Virgin Care, Celesio UK (Lloyds Pharmacy), Boots, Superdrug and more.
Here is a list of Apprenticeship frameworks in the health and social industry:
- Care Leadership and Management – Level 5
- Health Emergency Care Assistance – Level 2
- Healthcare Support Service – Level 2, 3
- Children and Young Peoples Workforce – Level 2, 3
- Health Optical Retail – Level 2, 3
- Youth Work – Level 2, 3
Apprenticeships are changing from 2020 all Apprenticeship frameworks will be replaced with standards which meet the needs of both the employer and apprentice.
Here is a list of Apprenticeship standards which have been approved for delivery:
- Animal Technologist – Level 3
- Associate Ambulance Practitioner – Level 4
- Dental Laboratory Assistant – Level 3
- Dental Nurse – Level 3
- Dental Technician – Level 5
- Food Industry Technical Professional – Level 6
- Food Technologist – Level 3
- Healthcare Assistant Practitioner – Level 5
- Healthcare Science Assistant – Level 2
- Healthcare Science Associate – Level 4
- Healthcare Science Practitioner – Level 6
- Healthcare Support Worker – Level 2
- Laboratory Scientist – Level 5, 6
- Laboratory Technician – Level 3
- Metrology Technician – Level 3
- Nursing Associate – Level 5
- Optical Assistant – Level 2
- Registered Nurse – Level 6
- Rehabilitation Worker – Level 5
- Senior Healthcare Support Worker – Level 3
The following show Apprenticeship standards that are currently undergoing developments:
- Advanced Clinical Practitioner – Level 7
- Ambulance Support Worker – Level 3
- Bioinformatics Scientist – Level 7
- Clinical Coder – Level 3
- Clinical Dental Technician – Level 5
- Clinical Trials Specialist – Level 6
- Community Sport and Health Officer – Level 3
- Diagnostic Radiographer – Level 6
- Dietician – Level 6
- Hearing Aid Dispensor – Level 5
- Mammography Assistant Practitioner – Level 4
- Occupational Therapist – Level 6
- Operating Department Practitioner – Level 6
- Oral Health Practitioner – Level 5
- Paramedic – Level 6
- Pharmacy Services Assistant – Level 2
- Pharmacy Technician – Level 3
- Physicians Associate – Level 7
- Physiotherapist – Level 6
- Podiatrist – Level 6
- Prosthetics and Orthotics – Level 6
- Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner – Level 6
- Regulatory Affairs Specialist – Level 7
- Senior Metrology Technician – Level 5
- Sonographer – Level 7
- Speech and Language Therapist – Level 6
- Technician Scientist – Level 5
- Therapeutic Radiographer – Level 6
Applying for health and social care Apprenticeships
Are you ready to kick start your career in an industry that offers plenty of diverse opportunities? Do you want to help people live a better life? You can apply for a broad range of health and social care Apprenticeships at Careermap. Can’t find any vacancies near you? Don’t worry, just register your CV online so employers can find YOU!