T-Levels: What yuou need to know School Leavers

T Levels: What You Should Know

T Levels are a career-led education route, developed in partnership with employers, that could prepare you for the future. Would you like to increase your employability and prepare you for the future? If so, T Levels could be right up your street! By choosing to study a T Level after GCSEs you will get both classroom and workplace learning to prepare you for the working world.

How do T Levels work?

T Levels are a two-year technical qualification, designed in partnership with employers to equip students with the technical skills needed for work.

You’ll spend 80% of your time in the classroom, learning the theory and knowledge behind your chosen technical skill; and you’ll spend the other 20% at work putting these skills into action. The start of your course will begin with a core curriculum to give you a good understanding of the subject overall, and you’ll then be able to choose a specialism.

Choosing a T Level could be the start of an exciting career path. As well as giving you hands-on experience in industry, you will develop the knowledge and skills needed for progression straight into a skilled profession or into higher level technical training, such as apprenticeships or higher education.

Alongside this, if you haven’t yet achieved GCSE maths and English then you will also work towards this.

Why choose a T Level?

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary qualifications – The world has changed drastically, and everyone is had to adapt to these ever-changing and uncertain times. T Levels give you specialist technical skills when entering the workplace or higher education.

Stepping stone into the working world – Courses have been designed by employers to ensure students are learning the skills industries are looking for, improving your employability. Over 200 employers, from small, local businesses to large multinationals, are involved so you can be confident you’ll be learning the skills real employers need. You’ll also get to know people in the industry which may open doors for employment in the future.

Experience the world of work – Try out your potential dream job whilst studying.

Qualifications that count – Nationally recognised certificate, equivalent to 3 A Levels. Counts towards UCAS points so you can continue into higher education if desired.

T Levels are a great route but don’t just take our word for it! Hear from T Level students to find out what they are really like:

“I think employers will be attracted to this qualification. At school I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do at first and this is more of a direct route. It’s brand new so it’s completely up to date. The placement is a very good opportunity to get a feel for what a job will be like and they might offer trainee jobs or apprenticeships after the T Level."

Aqsah Ahmed
T Level student

“This is a much more practical course than the computing GCSE. You’re not just learning computing theory. You’re going behind the scenes and can actually see how well you’re doing in each task, such as what’s working well and what needs improving. It will be good to learn more about coding, C-Sharp and other programming languages It’s an enjoyable course. The teachers are supportive of what you want to learn and achieve. I’m interested in AI and cloud computing.”

T Level Student

“I think T Levels go beyond A Levels. They take you into the real world so you understand how to get where you want to. It would have been easy to take the safe option and go to sixth form at my school. It would have felt protected because I knew the place and the people so well. But that’s not always the right thing. I’m happy to be going for something new; something that represents the future.”

Leah Hickman
T Level student

What T Level Subjects Can I Do?

There is a wide range of T Levels currently available including:

  • Design, surveying and planning for construction
  • Digital production, design and development
  • Education and childcare
  • Building services
  • engineering for construction
  • Digital business services
  • Digital support and services
  • Health
  • Healthcare science
  • Onsite construction
  • Science
  • Accounting
  • Design and development for engineering and manufacturing
  • Engineering, manufacturing, processing and control
  • Finance
  • Maintenance, installation and repair for engineering and manufacturing
  • Management and administration
  • Animal care and management
  • Agriculture, land management and production
  • Catering
  • Craft and design
  • Hair, beauty and aesthetics
  • Legal
  • Media, broadcast and production

Apply for T Levels on Careermap

Keep reading

Articles we think will help you ace your job search.