As a school leaver entering the world of work through an Apprenticeship can be exciting but also very daunting. Don’t worry, mixed emotions are expected from you and we’ve put together some top tips on how to make the most of your Apprenticeship.
1. Apprenticeships are available at intermediate level all the way to degree level. These Apprenticeships cover over 170 industries and more than a thousand job roles. It’s all about finding which level is right for you and what role you’re best suited to. To help you decide, take full advantage of your school/colleges careers department. They might have leads on Apprenticeships near you.
2. Your salary might not be brilliant but it’s worth taking into account what your university friends will be paying. Through an Apprenticeship, you’re actually getting paid to learn so whatever you’re paid look at it as a bonus. Also, in the second year of your Apprenticeship, you’ll earn the national minimum wage for your age group.
3. Schedule meetings with your work mentor/manager; this is their chance to give you feedback on what you’re doing well and where you can improve.
4. Try to network and gain as much experience through your Apprenticeship as possible. Speak to your work mentor about anything you’re struggling with and get to know the staff. This means going to all events you’re invited to.
5. Set goals on what you need to learn and what skills you’d like to develop. If you know what to accomplish and where you want to progress to.
6. Don’t burn any bridges and when your Apprenticeship has finished, if you’re not offered the opportunity to continue working for the company make sure you keep in touch with your colleagues.
7. When you leave your Apprenticeship make sure you’ve gained plenty of skills and understand the field you’re wanting to forge a career in.
Ready to apply for an Apprenticeship? Check out 1000’s of vacancies at Careermap.